Rather than gifts, we had collected things for the animal shelter at Pookie and Geetle’s birthday party last week. As our contribution, we made a bunch of simple cat and dog toys. These are a great way to use up extra fabric and super easy to make.
1. Braided Pull Ropes. You can make these from polar fleece or denim. We used polar fleece scraps, 2 pair of footed pajamas Geetle outgrew and a pair of my old jeans. Just simple knot-braid-knot.
2. Polar fleece stuffed toys. Very washable and easy to make. Just cut a shape and see where it takes you. No pattern needed.
3. Pillows. Every cat needs a pillow to sleep on, so why not make some simple crazy quilt pillows. Just start sewing scraps together. When its about Yay-Big, fold it in half and make a pillow. Stuff with scraps of polar fleece.
4. Polar fleece covered tennis balls. Cut 2 strips of polar fleece, 2.5 inches by 14 inches or so. Lay in the shape of a “+” and sew at the intersection. Drape over a tennis ball and tie with a scrap. Looks like an octopus when you are done. Dogs love to chase them.
5. Cat toys. Lay out 2 scraps of fabric, wrong sides together. Draw a fish or heart shape and stitch on the line. Before you sew completely all the way around, poke a little stuffing in, then finish sewing shut. Cut out with pinking shears. A perfect toy for a kitty to chase and bat under the fridge.
Easy, easy, easy. Why not make dozens for your local animal shelter today!